My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://ecoliciousmamablog.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Be Resourceful and Save Money with Reusable Glass Jars

Counting The PenniesSo I admit it, I did not make homemade baby food for my daughter. It sounded like a great plan, but for me, it was just not realistic. I did make some purees for her, but the majority of her baby food came from a glass jar. It was of course organic food though! We went through so many glass baby food jars that I finally started washing them out and storing them thinking I can use them one day for something. Then I realized that I can use them for so many different things! I don't know why it took me so long to realize that?! The best part is, they are perfectly portioned for her food now that she is eating table food and I spent no extra money on glass food storage containers which sometimes can be pricey. They are naturally BPA-free and won't leach any chemicals into your food. I love that they can go from refrigerator, to microwave if necessary, to serving... and they are dishwasher safe!

Here's some ideas to reuse your glass jars:

1. Use them for precut vegetables and fruits, or any snacks, they are the perfect size when portioning your food.
2. They are perfect to stick in your purse for snacks on the go!
3. Use them for homemade jams or jellies, you can always give this as gifts during the holidays (just make sure to add a cute bow or some fabric at the top)
4. Store paperclips, staples, any other small items that will help organize your desk.
5. Store nails, screws, bolts, etc. to help organize the garage or use them at a craft station to hold beads and small items.
6. These are an inexpensive way to store your spices.
7. Use them for party favors or table decorations, especially for your babies first birthday. Don't forget to fill them with something cute and add a ribbon or fabric. :)
8. There are so many crafts and games that you can do with your kids with jars as well.

Don't forget about your larger glass jars like spaghetti sauce jars and pickle jars. These are perfect for storing things like dry beans and grains like rice.

Have ideas? Please share with us and post a comment!

Photo from: http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=404

1 comment:

  1. the lids of baby food jars have a bpa epoxy...just fyi. so i reuse mine but i put a peice of wax paper then i put the lid so the bpa doesnt touch the organic food i just pureed :)

    ReplyDelete